Skip to main content

My father applyed for his n my papers in 91, he became a citizen in 2002 i dont know wat became of mine i was a miner at the tim

Los Angeles, CA |

wat happins now that im of age n hes passed away?

Attorney Answers 5


I would need to have more information to answer this. Who was the Petitioner? You may be eligible for 204(l).

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108
phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Not enough information to answer the question.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful


Reach out to an immigration attorney as we need more info to give you an adequate answer.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Consult with an immigration attorney to go over the specifics of your case.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Mark as helpful


If he filed in 1991, then it would have been long enough ago for you to immigrate based on that. Did you every marry? A marriage would terminate the petition from your father, unfortunately. Your father's death would not impact your eligibility as long as you were living in the US at the time of his death and until now, under a recent change in law that my colleague referenced (section 204(l)).

Try to get a copy of the I-130 approval notice showing his and your name and the priority date. Letters from the Department of State would be helpful too. If you do not have them it is possible to do a FOIA request in your nad your father's name to try to locate the records.

Mark as helpful

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics