My father and I owned a house in Maryland. He died and his name is on the deed. Can house be sold?

Salisbury, MD |

Wife left the area and I do not know where she is. His estate was never probated. I am the only child.

It depends upon whether you owned the house as a joint tenant with your father or as a tenant in common. You tell that from the deed. If it was a joint tenancy, then upon your father's death you became the full owner. If it was a tenancy in common, your father's share must be probated. If you call, I will look up the deed and tell you which it is.

Attorney Meng is correct. If I were you, I would take him up on his kind offer. Good luck to you.

This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor considered to be the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. I am licensed in Connecticut and New York and my answers are based upon the law in those jurisdictions. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if I were to review a client's file and have the opportunity to interview the client. Accordingly, I strongly urge you to retain an attorney in your jurisdiction with respect to any legal matter.

Attorney Meng can help you with this.

Recommended articles about Real estate