My father and I owned a house in Maryland. He died and his name is on the deed. Can house be sold?

Asked over 1 year ago - Salisbury, MD

Wife left the area and I do not know where she is. His estate was never probated. I am the only child.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. George E Meng

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It depends upon whether you owned the house as a joint tenant with your father or as a tenant in common. You tell that from the deed. If it was a joint tenancy, then upon your father's death you became the full owner. If it was a tenancy in common, your father's share must be probated. If you call, I will look up the deed and tell you which it is.

  2. Thomas C Valkenet


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Attorney Meng can help you with this.

  3. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Attorney Meng is correct. If I were you, I would take him up on his kind offer. Good luck to you.

    This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,406 answers this week

3,227 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,406 answers this week

3,227 attorneys answering