MY FATHER AND I HAVE A JOINT BANK ACCOUNT.HE CASHED STOCK CHECKS THAT WERE HELD IN JOINT TENANCY .MY NAME WAS SIGNED

Asked over 1 year ago - Huntsville, TX

AND I WAS NOT THE SIGNER,NOR DID I GIVE HIM PERMISSION TO DO SO.I WANT TO BE CARE FULL SO THAT I DO NOT GET HIM CRIMINALLY INVOLVED.MY BROTHER WANTS ME TO PROSECUTE AND HOLD HIS FEET TO THE FIRE., HE HAS A HISTORY OF SIGNING FAMILY NAMES WITHOUT PERMISSION.

1. Joseph Frank Centrich

3

Answered . It is unclear what your question is. Forgery, conversion and theft could all be crimes, so bringing this to the authorities could have negative consequences for your father. At a minimum I would check all your other accounts and verify that you don't have funds in common with him as he doesn't seem trustworthy. You should contact a local attorney to see about attempting to recover the funds if they were converted out of your account.

2. Steven John Clausen

Pro

Answered . You should talk with an attorney about the tax consequences of re-titling the stock so that you each own one-half of it in your respective names. That would solve the check cashing problem.

3. Stuart Gregory Steingraber

Answered . I would start with the bank by filing a claim there that your name was forged. The money represented by the forged checks will be returned to your account. Since the account is a joint account, your father would have access to the money again. You can't insulate your father from the consequences of an illegal act. Separate yourself from the joint account. Do not put your money there. Open a separate bank account. Good luck.