My family and i got hit by a car that had only the insurance that the law required ,how much money will i get?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fresno, CA

The Insurance is only willing to give us 30,000 for the 5 of us.Could we get more money?

1. Barry P. Goldberg

Pro

19

Answered . The big question is whether your family has a policy of Uninsured Motorist coverage that exceeds $30,000. If so, it converts to "Underinsured" motorist coverage and you may have additional funds available to you!

Good luck!

2. John Ksajikian

19

Answered . The minimum automobile liability insurance in California is $15,000 per injured person, with a maximum of $30,000 per incident (commonly called a "15/30 policy"). If that's what the other side has, then that's all the insurance that's available. You can look to see if your policy has an underinsured policy in excess of $30,000. If so, they would cover more of your claim (depending on how much coverage you have). If your accident is severe enough, you may want to speak to a local attorney to see if there's more that can be done.

3. Matthew Charles Price

Pro

20

Answered . You should hire a local injury lawyer. The lawyer can examine all applicable insurance policies including your own in order to determine what coverage is available. Do not take the insurance company's word on this. The lawyer can also evaluate your damages in light of the available coverage to accurately analyze the value of each claim.

4. David Lee Fiol

18

Answered . It sounds like they have the minimum policy under California law, which provides for no more than $15,000 per person injured and no more than $30,000 total per accident. However, I agree with my colleagues that you should consult with an attorney to make sure that is truly their limit, and to look at all other possible sources of compensation, including your own insurance policy and the assets of the defendant.

Since you already have an offer for $30,000, I would suggest you demand an agreement with any attorney you hire that no fee will be taken on that $30,000. Obviously you don't need a lawyer to get that amount. They should earn a fee only on amounts they get above that level.

5. Kevin Coluccio

19

Answered . Contact and consult with a personal injury attorney. The attorney will be able to review all of the insurance issues and any assets available.

Pro

18

Answered . A local personal injury lawyer should review all the insurance coverage.

7. Matthew C Simon

Pro

16

Answered . Possibly. Much more info is needed. Go to an experienced persoanl injury attorney in your area ASAP. He or she can review your paperwork and advise you accordingly. Good luck.

8. Christopher Steven Hoffmann

16

Answered . Contact a car accident attorney for a meeting to go over all possible coverages.

9. Steven Mark Sweat

14

Answered . Unfortunately, the minimum amount of coverage in California for multiple claimaints in one single incident is $30,000. You may want to hire an attorney to run an asset check of the defendant and, if they have appreciable assets that could be sought by way of a judgment, you may want to ask them to contribute some additional funds as a condition for settlement. A personal injury attorney could assist you with this process.

10. Jeffrey Mark Adams

14

Answered . This business no different than any other; you get what you pay for. Good luck.

11. Dean Bailis Gordon

11

Answered . In addition to the policy limits of the at-fault driver, there are several other sources that an experienced personal injury attorney could explore, including whether the owner of the defendant's vehicle had auto insurance, whether the driver was acting in the course and scope of employment or as an agent of another at the time of the accident, whether the defendant has other assets, and your own auto policy that may have underinsured motorist coverage if greater than the defendant's policy limits. This is a complicated area of the law, and I would strongly advise you to contact an experienced personal injury and let him/her review your policy.

One or more answers have been taken down.