My face and name has been posted on the internet without my consent. Can I have it removed at no or minimal cost?

Asked over 2 years ago - Columbus, OH

My face and name was posted by a "paper" that's requesting $68 to remove it!

Attorney answers (2)

  1. L. Maxwell Taylor

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . A great article on this subject appeared not too long ago in Wired Magazine. Link is below.

    Not legal advice, just my two cents. I don't practice law in Ohio and don't hold Ohio licensure. If you need legal advice, please consult a lawyer who does.

  2. Scott E. Chapman

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . It depends on who took the picture. The person that takes a picture owns it. There are instances where a picture was taken when you had an expectation of privacy. If that is the case, they must seek your permission to publish it. It sounds like this $68-thing is a scam, akin to blackmail.

    If they are truly harassing you and the picture is private, you should contact an attorney for remedies in your judrisdiction.

    The recommendations in this answer are not considered legal advice for the purposes of ethical evaluation, nor do... more

Related Topics

Personal injury

If you suffer a personal injury as the result of the actions or negligence of another, you may seek financial compensation for physical or emotional damages.

Personal injury lawsuits

Personal injury lawsuits allow an injured person to seek compensation for the injury, either by court decision or through a settlement.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,019 answers this week

2,405 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,019 answers this week

2,405 attorneys answering