My face and name has been posted on the internet without my consent. Can I have it removed at no or minimal cost?

Asked over 2 years ago - Columbus, OH

My face and name was posted by a "paper" that's requesting $68 to remove it!

1. L. Maxwell Taylor

1

1

Answered . A great article on this subject appeared not too long ago in Wired Magazine. Link is below.

Not legal advice, just my two cents. I don't practice law in Ohio and don't hold Ohio licensure. If you need legal advice, please consult a lawyer who does.

2. Scott E. Chapman

Answered . It depends on who took the picture. The person that takes a picture owns it. There are instances where a picture was taken when you had an expectation of privacy. If that is the case, they must seek your permission to publish it. It sounds like this $68-thing is a scam, akin to blackmail.

If they are truly harassing you and the picture is private, you should contact an attorney for remedies in your judrisdiction.