My face and name has been posted on the internet without my consent. Can I have it removed at no or minimal cost?

Columbus, OH |

My face and name was posted by a "paper" that's requesting $68 to remove it!

A great article on this subject appeared not too long ago in Wired Magazine. Link is below.

Not legal advice, just my two cents. I don't practice law in Ohio and don't hold Ohio licensure. If you need legal advice, please consult a lawyer who does.

It depends on who took the picture. The person that takes a picture owns it. There are instances where a picture was taken when you had an expectation of privacy. If that is the case, they must seek your permission to publish it. It sounds like this $68-thing is a scam, akin to blackmail.

If they are truly harassing you and the picture is private, you should contact an attorney for remedies in your judrisdiction.

The recommendations in this answer are not considered legal advice for the purposes of ethical evaluation, nor do the create a retention of counsel wherein an attorney-client relationship exists. These recommendations should never be relied upon without first consulting an attorney in your jurisdiction. I am not your attorney, unless we enter into a written agreement fulfilling the terms of that agreement. The comments posted herein are purely for educational purposes and public discourse only.

Civil rights topics