My expungement keeps falling through the cracks. What do I do.

Asked about 1 year ago - Huntington, WV

I was arrested for a DUI three years ago. After completing everything the Judge ordered and paying all of the fines, the Judge expunged my record. I moved to a different State and have had problems getting a job. So I called my hometown court house to ask about my record. The person I spoke with said that my record was ordered to be expunged but it must have 'fell through the cracks'. He apologized for the mishap and told me it would be taken care of that day. I call back a month later and my record still has not been expunged. The lady assured me she was taking care of it as we spoke. I made a mistake when I was younger, and I paid my dues. Now their mistake is costing me time loss, job loss, and financial loss. What can I do?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Jasen Bodie Nielsen


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . At this point, I'd suggest calling the court clerk again to inquire. If it still hasn't been resolved, consider hiring an attorney to ensure that it is. Good luck.

    Jasen Nielsen

  2. Ethan Patrick Meaney


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Yes I agree with my colleague. Call the clerk and if that doesn't prove fruitful you should probably contact an attorney for assistance. Good luck.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now