My experience with my court appointed lawyer went bad?????

Beaumont, TX |

I am not going with this court appointed lawyer I am innocent and all he kept saying.... well this your first offense I know for sure I can get you probation what kind of lawyer is this I'm telling him I'm innocent than he saying I can get you probation telling me probation is a good thing Haven't even hired him I know they going to have some lawyers come on here saying well maybe this well maybe that like giving the court appointment lawyer the benefit of the doubt. First x that he done this guy sent me a form stating he was my court appointed lawyer with my case number on it...I went to his office and he told me what I already know saying well you bonded I'm not your lawyer I charge 2500 to 3500 falsely saying he my court appointed lawyer to me before I even meet him in a letter.

Hmm. If you already know what we're going to say, why exactly is it that you're bothering to post??? And by the way, according g to my fourth grade grammar teacher, you've failed to ask a question, as well. Good luck with your case.

It sounds like at your next court date you need to clear up with the court whether this attorney is appointed to represent you or whether you need to hire one. Obviously, if the court requires you to hire your own attorney, you need to shop around until you find one you're comfortable with.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

Both attorneys above raise good points for you to consider.

You need to determine whether he is your appointed attorney or not. If appointed he CANNOT bill you for his services. I've seen this with a few appointed attorneys recently and that bothers me. I treat appointed clients just like paying clients. Go to your first appearance. Figure out if he's your attorney and don't plead to anything unless you fully understand the consequences and ramifications.
Good luck

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing

You might want to ask the Judge for a hearing regarding your court appointed counsel and if your entitled to another. While this is NOT binding in TEXAS other jurisdictions have been requiring a hearing with the court when court appointed counsel does not seem to be working out. Such as People v. Marsden, 2 Cal.3d 118, 465 P.2d 44, 84 Cal. Rptr. 156 (1970) Supreme Court of California. In Bank. February 26, 1970.

Florida has a similar case and it could be ripe for Texas to allow defendants a little due process to work out the conflicts with counsel rather than flatly deny a defendant's pleas of help. Your court appointed counsel can not make you plea. Probation is a consequence of a crime, and can leave you with a record. I understand where you are coming from. Sometimes, however, it may pay you dividends to also consider the risks of going to trial. Innocence is no guarantee of an acquittal and often the consequences are worse than the plea deal. Just food for thought... Good Luck

Answers provided on Avvo does not form an attorney-client relationship or indicate that the attorney represents or even will represent the client. Responses to questions are provided and based upon the facts as stated in the question. While attorneys attempt to make a complete and accurate response, there is no guaranty or warranty that the response is correct. You are encouraged to seek qualified counsel, licensed in the state(s) which have jurisdiction over the matters for advice. You are also encouraged to be careful as to your postings as the postings are not confidential.