My existing Will prepared and signed in Maryland, where I lived, will it stand up legally since I have moved/homesteaded in FL?

Lived in MD for 28 years. Moved to FL, bought home and have homesteaded property. Will the MD Will legally stand up in FL or should I acquire a new will?

Mount Dora, FL -

Dana Laganella Gerling

Dana Laganella Gerling

Wills and Living Wills Lawyer - Bradenton, FL

If you Will was valid in Maryland it would be valid in Florida. However, every states laws are very different and I would suggest that you consult with an Attorney in FL related to updating your prior Will.

Richard Allan Heller

Richard Allan Heller

Wills and Living Wills Lawyer - Orlando, FL

I agree the responses, but wish to emphasis that a will being valid to be entered into probate does not mean the terms comply with Florida law. We have some unique laws in Florida when it comes to homestead real estate, spouses rights, and that of minor children. Have an attorney review the will and consider having it updated.

Marcos P Martinez

Marcos P Martinez

Wills and Living Wills Lawyer - Arlington, TX

Yes. As long as the Will was valid in the jurisdiction in which it was created (Maryland), then it would be valid here in Florida. Other exceptions may apply, but that is the broad and general rule. Having said that, if you intend to update or revise your Will, it would be wise to make it a Florida document. Hope this helps!

Gregory Herman-Giddens

Gregory Herman-Giddens

Wills and Living Wills Lawyer - Chapel Hill, NC

Possibly, but I strongly recommend that you consult with a Florida attorney regarding the advisability of updating your will and powers of attorney, etc. Most likely he or she will advise you to have Florida documents prepare.

Jesse Houston Clark

Jesse Houston Clark

Estate Planning Attorney - Orlando, FL

While a valid will of another state will be valid in Florida, certain provisions of the will might be struck as contrary to Florida law. The easiest, sure-fire way to eliminate uncertainty would simply be to have an attorney look over the will and, most likely, make a new one that conforms to Florida's specific requirements. Working from the original will, an attorney could make sure the devises and the intent of the will are maintained, advise you of any sections that would not be valid in Florida, and update the formalities and identifying local information.

This is the best option, especially since you have homesteaded in Florida and therefore new property will be included in the estate which was not part of the original will.

I provide a free estate planning consultation and would be happy to meet with you and discuss this matter in more detail. Of course, feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. You can find my contact information on my profile by clicking on my name above.

Related Advice