Skip to main content

My ex-wife who filed for divorce is accusing me of marriage fraud. Can I try petitioning for myself for a new green card because

Santa Barbara, CA |

everything was in her name as that's how she wanted from the beginning. She sent several reports against me to immigration . Recently, there was a domestic violence case, which I filed against her in order to obtain protective order, but that failed. She recently notified me that my friend who helped me out with advice on this protective order is in some immigration scam website where some USC who fell victim to immigration fraud has mentioned my friend's name saying that my friend helped out his immigrant wife who filed false report against her, provoked a fight and then called the police. Basically, now my wife is additionally reporting that my friend and I tried to pull the abuse excuse on her just as in the article. She sent the article with a new report to the uscis to show that I am

being advised by that very same person about whom it was previously mentioned. I am not sure what to do for my I-751 in this situation. In that article, my friend was indeed mentioned as someone who gave directions and assisted the woman to make the USC's life a living hell. The thing is that the very same friend of mine provided me with a witness report to use against my ex in court, so my ex said that she will take that witness report of my friend where my friend wrote how my ex-wife has been threatening me, in order to write her side of the story and to also attach the article my ex found online to claim that my friend is similarly trying to advise every immigrant as to how to claim abuse. I am not sure what to do for my I-751 now for not having any paperwork with my ex-wife. Does it seem like my ex has more power over me in immigration I wonder.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. This is an incredibly messy and complicated story.

    Why haven't you hired an immigration lawyer? ... you really need one.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  2. I agree with attorney Capriotti. You are very unlikely to extricate yourself from this mess without an attorney. There is an old saying "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned". It probably works for "husband" too.

    Andrew M. Bramante, Rosner Partners, 216-771-5588. Free telephone consultation. You should always consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make certain that the advice you received is appropriate for your particular immigration case.

  3. You need at least two attorneys. One for the divorce and another for the immigration problems you are about to have.

    The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics