My ex wife to be is vindictive, lying, harassing, and destructive.what can I do to stop her?

Asked over 2 years ago - Denver, CO

My divorce is going on for over a year now.I filed for divorce due to abuse and lies I put up with for 10 yrs.I also reunited with the love of my high school sweet heart.I wanted to be happy and my three kids shouldn't grow up with parents who fight and yell non stop.but now my life couldn't be worse.Mostly because of my new love who has tolerated horrible harrassment,slander,property damage, false accusations and more, she wants to hurt me any way she and can to get revenge or get me back and hurt my girlfriend.I've lost the kids temporarily, she hasand alienated myby kids .I've been put in contempt and possible charges for selling assets.all lies.I don't have a lawyer anymore cause I ran out of money.what can I do?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Stephen Clark Harkess


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . When you are representing yourself, you are at a tremendous disadvantage. No attorney will be able to make this process easy or make your ex a kind, polite woman, but you need competent representation if you are going to be able to obtain the best results.

    If your children are important to you, you need to hire an attorney. If you are indigent, you can contact Colorado Legal Services or Metro Volunteer Lawyers and seek representation based on charity. You can find contact information for both organizations on my website.

    You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney... more
  2. V. Iyer

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Mr Harkness is right. Try Mr. Underhill's suggestion. You are at a serious disadvantage without a competent family law lawyer.

    Having a relationship always starts out as a journey in paradise till someone tries to end it and then all hell breaks loose.

    I am going to blunt and frank here. Your ex is what you have helped her to become ans the same for her as to what you have become. It takes TWO to Tango. There is no "innocent' party in a dissolution of marriage case.

    It is an extereme rarity for someone to be toallay innocent in a dsissolution of marriage or realtionship. We all have selective memory when it suits our purpose.

    Do not be offended by straight talk.

    All the Best.

    No attorney client relationship is established or intended. Contact a local lawyer for specificity as to the facts... more
  3. James C Underhill Jr.

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree, you need a lawyer.

    If you can't afford "full representation" which is probably what you tried before (it is very expensive) you can also get help in a limited way. Some attorneys sell "unbundled" or "limited" legal services where you pay for just what you need and can afford. For example, some attorneys will prepare letters for you to sign, legal documents, or sell the paperwork for the court filings; then you can proceed on your own, but knowing that your paperwork is correct and having a road map as to how to proceed. Or who will attend a hearing for a flat fee even if they are not handling the whole case. Neighborhood Law Office is such a firm.

    Also, you said property damage. If your ex destroys or damages something, call the police and report the crime. If she screams and calls names on the telephone, buy a small recorder and record all the calls, keep voice mails, keep texts. Sent the texts to an email account and print them. Record the voice mails onto your recorder so that you don't lose them. This information will be very important as evidence during an eventual hearing on parenting time and custody.

    You say you "lost custody temporarily". This is odd, unless there is a criminal or abuse issue with you. You cannot sell assets of the marriage. You should have a lawyer attend any contempt hearing.

    At Neighborhood Law Office we never charge for an initial consultation, and at that meeting we can go through your specific facts and give you options. Please call us anytime for an appointment.

    Thanks, Jim

    Jim Underhill
    Neighborhood Law Office
    7225 E. Hampden Ave.
    Denver, CO 80224
    303-302-1001 fax

    NOTICE— This answer is based upon a partial understanding of the facts and may not be relied upon as legal... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,972 answers this week

3,121 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,972 answers this week

3,121 attorneys answering