My ex wife stop paying her child support as she had a stroke and is not able to pay. What happens to the arrears if she files

Staten Island, NY |

for a modification. Does the judge we out the arrears she has accumulated because she was unable to work or does she still have to pay the arrears

1. Arrears stay and may be reduced to a judgment. Any modification granted will be effective as of the date the application was made, not before.

All of Ms. Brown's responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

2. Arrears continue to accrue until she files for a modification.

I am an attorney with over a decade of experience in Matrimonial and Family Law with offices in Brooklyn and Manhattan. I have experience in all five boroughs as well is Nassau and Suffolk County. The opinion expressed in this ad based upon the limited information provided and do not indicate an attorney-client relationship

3. Arrears generally cannot be cancelled. That said, if she is incapacitated, the Court may find there to be a "grievous injustice" if arrears are not modified. You have a right to file an enforcement action - to which she'd likely counter with a modification petition. Speak to a Child Support lawyer in your area.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

Child support topics