My ex wife stop paying her child support as she had a stroke and is not able to pay. What happens to the arrears if she files

Asked 8 months ago - Staten Island, NY

for a modification. Does the judge we out the arrears she has accumulated because she was unable to work or does she still have to pay the arrears

1. David Zaslavsky

3

Answered . Arrears continue to accrue until she files for a modification.

2. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

2

Answered . Arrears stay and may be reduced to a judgment. Any modification granted will be effective as of the date the application was made, not before.

3. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

Answered . Arrears generally cannot be cancelled. That said, if she is incapacitated, the Court may find there to be a "grievous injustice" if arrears are not modified. You have a right to file an enforcement action - to which she'd likely counter with a modification petition. Speak to a Child Support lawyer in your area.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.