My ex wife just married a regisitered child sex offender. Can I get custody of my two girls?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lake Charles, LA

She only knew this guy a month and just rushed off to marry him. It turns out he went to jail for 6 years for having sex with a 13 year old girl and was released in 2009. My girls are ages 2 and 4. This really concerns me and I want to get custody of them. If this guy lacks the judgement to keep from sleeping with a 13 yearold, whats keeping him from messing with my girls now or in the future? My ex obviously lacks the judgement to keep the kids out of harms way. She also moved my kids to her parents house where the girls do not even have a bedroom. She is planning on moving to a very very run down practically unliveable house on her moms property. I live in a nice 3 bedroom house that I own and have a fulltime steady job. Has anyone heard of a man get custody in a similar situation?

1. Lauren G. Coleman

3

1

Answered . You could most likely get it where the mother only has supervised visitation or has visitation outside the presence of the convicted sex offender. The court will look at the total situation and decide based on the best interest of the children. You should consult an experienced family law attorney in your parish.

2. Veleka Eskinde

Answered . The children's safety and needs come first. Her decision to marry a registered sex offender puts them in direct risk of harm, by someone who has already committed a sex crime. The best thing that you can do as a parent is to petition for sole custody. Good luck.

Definitely consult an attorney.
  3. Jennifer L. Ellis

Pro

1

1

Answered . What a stressful situation for you and your girls. I would retain an attorney to file for custody. A judge will look at the entirety of the situation in terms of what is best for your girls.