My Ex wife is trying to bankrupt on money she owes me from a house we bought

Asked about 2 years ago - Salt Lake City, UT

I was told in the Divorce Decree I would get a set amount for the house. I have set up a court date for a judgment because she should have paid me 3 years ago or made at least payments. now she has listed me as a creditor because of the money she owes me. I plan on going to the hearing because I am a creditor I guess and dispute this. But what is the chances of her winning? I have in black and white she owes me the sum in the divorce papers.

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

1

6

Answered . I am sorry that you are going through this you have two remedies and i suggest that the first one starts in the probate court as a contempt and then work with your civil attny if you chose that route.

2. Michael Brooks Ipson

Answered . You need to do more than just go to the 341 creditor's meeting. You need to file a objection to the discharge of this debt because it arises from a divorce decree. If your motion is granted then your portion of the debt will be excluded from the bankruptcy.

3. Brett D Weiss

Pro

1

Answered . The question of discharge of a domestic obligation in bankruptcy can be a difficult and complex one. I strongly recommend discussing this with your domestic attorney and an experienced bankruptcy attorney.