My Ex wife is trying to bankrupt on money she owes me from a house we bought

Asked over 2 years ago - Salt Lake City, UT

I was told in the Divorce Decree I would get a set amount for the house. I have set up a court date for a judgment because she should have paid me 3 years ago or made at least payments. now she has listed me as a creditor because of the money she owes me. I plan on going to the hearing because I am a creditor I guess and dispute this. But what is the chances of her winning? I have in black and white she owes me the sum in the divorce papers.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Howard M Lewis


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . I am sorry that you are going through this you have two remedies and i suggest that the first one starts in the probate court as a contempt and then work with your civil attny if you chose that route.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to... more
  2. Michael Brooks Ipson

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . You need to do more than just go to the 341 creditor's meeting. You need to file a objection to the discharge of this debt because it arises from a divorce decree. If your motion is granted then your portion of the debt will be excluded from the bankruptcy.

  3. Brett D Weiss


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The question of discharge of a domestic obligation in bankruptcy can be a difficult and complex one. I strongly recommend discussing this with your domestic attorney and an experienced bankruptcy attorney.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Debt in a Divorce

Responsibility for debts acquired during marriage may fall upon both parties after divorce, even if only one spouse incurred the debt.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,198 answers this week

2,803 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,198 answers this week

2,803 attorneys answering