Skip to main content

My ex wife has my social security number

Dallas, TX |

what can i do to protect myself because her or her new boyfriend may try to use it. we are seperated but not yet divorced

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Make sure you change your address. You can put a fraud alert on your credit agency files. You can also purchase one of the identify theft packages.

    Have you filed for divorce? If not, I would ASAP. In Texas, there is no "legal separation."

  2. Obviously, you are concerned but no one has a crystal ball and can predict what will happen.
    I would go to your local social security office to discuss the matter directly with them. You should also monitor your credit through the 3 major credit reporting companies. This can be a free report.
    If you really want to just avoid any issues and are that concerned about it, I would suggest talking with the local field office about changing your social security number.

Social security topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics