My ex wife has custody of the kids but she has had cps cases on her and now left them with grandma for 6 weeks now can I getem?

I live in texas and she lives in california she has had the cops and cps visit her house and kids have been in domistic violince because of bad boyfriend that she continues to see. She drope the kids off to her mothers house six weeks ago and there has been no contact with her with the girls, nore do we no where she is there has been no contact .... the kids grandmother are very worried about the safty of the girl and I would love to get them and grandma knows that her daughter can't take care of the girls. Can I get them would I get in trouble is it kidnapping? I need help please help I love my girls and just want them to be safe.

Sweetwater, TX -

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis

Family Law Attorney - Framingham, MA

I would not suggest taking matters into your own hands and using self-help methods. You should go through the court and request a change of custody. I strongly suggest that you contact local counsel to assist you with this process. Good luck.

Sponsored Listing
Theresa Cay Langford

Theresa Cay Langford

Family Law Attorney - Addison, TX

I agree with Mr. Lewis and want to add that if the case is out of California, you will need a California attorney to file for modification. You should act quickly, before mom wanders back into their lives with her boyfriend.

Jacqueline R. Kriebel

Jacqueline R. Kriebel

Child Custody Lawyer - San Antonio, TX

If you are the children's father then you can pick the kids up on your next scheduled visitation. If you feel the children have been abandoned by their mother then you will need to file with the court who has jurisdiction. Speak to an attorney immediately to find out your options or the grandparents may have standing to fight you for custody.

Sponsored Listing

Related Advice

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.