Skip to main content

My ex wife has been assigned an 18b lawyer as a petitioner how do i ask the court to remove the free 18b lawyer I AM PRO SE

West Hempstead, NY |

my ex wife has been assigned an 18b lawyer and she is the petitioner and she has assets in value of more that 200 to 500K she is asking the court to modify her child support due me and the 2nd dept syn appeals court just made a decision and order for her to pay she is asking the family court to modify it from 620 to 25 $

the appeals court said her case had no merit for reduced child support on jan 30 2013 based on her being mentally ill the appeals court denied her motion and she is asking the family court to lower it to 25 a month and now says she is depressed more that before

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Have your lawyer request to see the financials of your ex wife. If the judge assigned an 18B lawyer improperly, then maybe it can be rescinded.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

  2. I doubt you have standing on whether she gets an 18b lawyer but you can ask the court to have her show financial proof that she needs/qualifies for assigned counsel. I believe this is fairly common is Family Court.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  3. I concurr with attonrey Rothstein, ask the court to have her prove her financial condition. take care.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.