My ex wife gets half of my pension plus alimony, can I get the alimony taken away? Can I get alimony? Is she allowed both in OR

Asked almost 3 years ago - Heppner, OR

When I got devorced, my ex wife was not working and was awarded alimony for 10 years.Three years ago I had to retire early, and the ex went back to work. My ex now makes three times more than me ( thats including my pension and alimony)

Additional information

I now have very little income to support me and our 16 year old son. do I have any options I can do myself since I can not afford a lawyer?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Brian S Wayson

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You need to get the support order modified on the basis of the changed circumstances. You really need to work with an attorney to get this done. Many will provide low cost or no cost initial consultations and could tell you upfront an approximate amount your matter would cost to complete - maybe even take monthly payments.

    You could try contacting Legal Aid Services at:

    PO Box 1327 (365 SE 3rd St.) Pendleton, OR 97801
    Local: (541) 276-6685
    Tollfree: 1-800-843-1115

    or the Oregon state bar modest means program at:

    Hours: 8 am to 5 pm Monday-Friday
    Phone: 503-684-3763 or toll-free in Oregon at 800-452-7636.

    Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice,... more
  2. Miranda Shanell Summer

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I'd add that you should look to the original judgment that awarded your ex-wife spousal support. It may specify circumstances that would result in termination of support.

    My responses to posts on AVVO are not legal advice, nor do they create an attorney-client relationship. In order... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.


Alimony is the regular monetary allowance one ex-spouse may be required to pay the other after a divorce.

Howard M Lewis

Paying Alimony (Spousal Support)

Alimony, also known as maintenance or spousal support, refers to payments made by one spouse to the other after a couple divorces. These payments are for living expenses and/or child... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,537 answers this week

3,406 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,537 answers this week

3,406 attorneys answering