My ex wife gets half of my pension plus alimony, can I get the alimony taken away? Can I get alimony? Is she allowed both in OR

Heppner, OR |

When I got devorced, my ex wife was not working and was awarded alimony for 10 years.Three years ago I had to retire early, and the ex went back to work. My ex now makes three times more than me ( thats including my pension and alimony)

I now have very little income to support me and our 16 year old son. do I have any options I can do myself since I can not afford a lawyer?

1. You need to get the support order modified on the basis of the changed circumstances. You really need to work with an attorney to get this done. Many will provide low cost or no cost initial consultations and could tell you upfront an approximate amount your matter would cost to complete - maybe even take monthly payments.

You could try contacting Legal Aid Services at:

PO Box 1327 (365 SE 3rd St.) Pendleton, OR 97801
    Local: (541) 276-6685
    Tollfree: 1-800-843-1115

http://www.oregonlawhelp.org/Program/788/index.cfm

or the Oregon state bar modest means program at:

Hours: 8 am to 5 pm Monday-Friday
    Phone: 503-684-3763 or toll-free in Oregon at 800-452-7636.

http://www.osbar.org/public/ris/ris.html

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice, and use of this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you have questions about your specific situation, please call an attorney.

2. I'd add that you should look to the original judgment that awarded your ex-wife spousal support. It may specify circumstances that would result in termination of support.

My responses to posts on AVVO are not legal advice, nor do they create an attorney-client relationship. In order to provide true (and reliable) legal advice, an attorney must be able to ask questions of the person seeking legal advice and to thus gather the appropriate information. In order for an attorney-client relationship to exist, you and I both have to agree the the terms of such an agreement.