Skip to main content

My ex was ordered to pay child support but never has. my kids are now over the age of 18 . can a persstill get bac child supp

Madras, OR |
Filed under: Child support

he.has never paid he's on social security desablity

Attorney Answers 1


Child support arrears accrued after children grow up are still owed, yes. It might be possible to garnish disability payments for child support, but the payments will necessarily be rather low. He can't be garnished for more than 25% of his monthly income, or be left with less than $936 a month (that's for working full-time; different limits may apply for SSD. You should consult with an attorney with experience in support collections.).

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees




can a person go across state line to collect back child support

Jay Bodzin

Jay Bodzin


You will need to execute your enforcement action in the state where the debtor resides. That state's child support enforcement agency should be able to help once you get them a copy of the current support order. Again, you will do best to have an attorney help with this.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics