My ex was court ordered to pay spousal support for life to me. I have not received anything since Sept.2011 and am homeless.

Asked about 2 years ago - San Pedro, CA

we were married 28 years and have 4 daughters. I was a stay at home mom and also helped him start his own company. We built our dream home on 3 acres in Malibu and made several million which we invested in other properties in Malibu and Santa Monica which we owned together. He lives with his new wife in a multimillion dollars home. I live in my car with no income and my credit has been ruined by him not paying my support. I am 61 and need help but don't know how to begin to get help without money to hire someone. He is well known and has projects published in all the design magazines, including Architectural Digest and House Beautiful. His latest was in Design Bureau in August 2011 and the article is called "Celebrity Confidential". Can anyone help me!!!

1. Michael Charles Schwerin

3

1

Answered . If you are entitled to spousal support for life, you need to take a copy of your judgment/court order to an attorney and file the appropriate motion or contempt charges. If you cannot find an attorney who will take the case, then you need to do it on your own. Go to the self help center of your superior court where they will help you prepare, file and serve the papers. Most judgments contain an attorney's fees clause. If you have to hire an attorney to enforce the judgment, and if you win, the other side has to pay your attorney. If yours has such a provision, you should be able to find an attorney to take your case. If it does not have such a provision, for most attorneys you will either have to come up with some money for a retainer or you will have to pursue him on your own.

2. Tobie Brina Waxman

1

1

Answered . Is there a reason you waited this long to take any action? Were you represented by an attorney for the divorce? If so, start by calling your former attorney and asking him or her if they will assist with enforcing the support order. Otherwise you will need to find a new attorney to assist you with this matter, i.e. post-judgment enforcement. If you want to try to handle this yourself, contact the Harriett Buhai Center for Family Law in Los Angeles. They offer free legal assistance to pro per litigants who qualify for their services.

3. Nadine Marie Jett

1

1

Answered . Since you have a Judgment, and because you indicate the ex has assets, it should be relatively easy to collect your judgment.
    You will have to file a Motion to Determine Arrears, add on the interest, and obtain a money judgment for a sum certain. You will get a judgment,then the next step is collecting. If he has a bank account(s) you can collect, if he owns property, you can lien it. If he has wages, you can garnish. You have quite a few options. It is troubling that you have not taken action, and that your assets are completely depleted.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship

4. Linda D Roberts-Ross

Answered . I agree with the other answers, You should also know that it may be possible for an attorney to immediately file for an award of attorneys fees in order to allow you to protect your rights. Contempt proceedings are quazi criminal matters which means that after you file your contempt action, your ex will be arraigned and he will have to enter a plea. Then you or your attorney will have to prove he was ordered to pay support, willfully failed to do so, and that he had the ability to pay the support. If the other suggestions don't help, find the local Legal Aid office and based on what you have stated, you would qualify for their assistance. It may sound very daunting, but don't let it go.

Good Luck,
    Linda Roberts-Ross