Skip to main content

My ex signed a quit claim deed at final hearing. I was not asked to sign and over a month later has not been notarized or filed

Pinellas Park, FL |

I was not informed I needed to sign the quit claim until over a week later when I questioned my attorney why it had not been filed. I went to the office to sign and was told it would be notarized asap. It has been almost a month since the hearing and despite numerous calls and promises it has still not been notarized. What recourse do I have?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Send your attorney a letter and tell him if the matter is not taken care of immediately, you'll contact the state bar association or state supreme court, whichever one handles complaints about attorneys. Give him 10 days to respond.

  2. I agree with my colleague. Put a letter on them explaining that the work needs to be done within 2 days or you will take action with Tallahassee. You might ask them what is the reason for the delay. Doesn't make sense. Good luck.

    Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

  3. OK. Like my colleagues who have answered before me, there are several hair-raising issues in your question; among the most egregious of which is signing a document and being told it would be 'notarized asap' - the ONLY time a notary is valid is if the notary is PRESENT WHEN YOU SIGN!!! This smells like malpractice to me, both on the part of the attorney and any notary that would sign and seal any document where they did not witness the signing. Both my colleagues gave excellent advice. I, however, think that you have given your attorney more than enough chances. I would send the letter to the attorney and also send a copy to the Florida Bar.

    Carol Johnson Law Firm, P.A. : (727) 647-6645 : : Wills, Trusts, Real Property, Probate, Special Needs: Information provided here is anecdotal and should not be relied upon or considered legal advice. Every matter is different and answers given here are general in nature and may not reflect current Florida law at the time you are reading this posting. Please contact me if you feel you need additional assistance with your matter.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics