My ex-landlord said tauntingly, she was going to put a lien on my car after a default UD judgment, is that possible?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

Where does she acquire the information to do that?..

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

7

1

Answered . It is possible. She can put a lien on all of your personal property just by filing a Notice of Judgment Lien with the Secretary of State.

2. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

6

2

Answered . She can do even worse. She can execute on the judgment and garnish your wages, have your car picked up, and levy on your bank accounts. She probably won't pick up your car if it's financed but if it isn't it's one quick way to get a debtor's attention.

3. Kathryn Ursula Tokarska

6

1

Answered . After obtaining a judgment, the creditor can ask for court to summon you to court for a debtor's exam to disclose all of your assets. After obtaining the information creditor can use all legal remedies to attempt collection, including wage garnishments, bank levy, liens against property. Putting a lien on a car is typically not done because often the vehicles are financed close to value, also you have an exemption that applies to certain property up to a specific amount, also a vehicle can be a highly depreciating assets. Wage garnishments and bank levy is typically more effective in attempting to collect, but of course depends on what the debtor owns and whether they are a waged employee.