Skip to main content

My ex-landlord said tauntingly, she was going to put a lien on my car after a default UD judgment, is that possible?

Los Angeles, CA |

Where does she acquire the information to do that?..

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It is possible. She can put a lien on all of your personal property just by filing a Notice of Judgment Lien with the Secretary of State.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.


She can do even worse. She can execute on the judgment and garnish your wages, have your car picked up, and levy on your bank accounts. She probably won't pick up your car if it's financed but if it isn't it's one quick way to get a debtor's attention.

I am licensed in California only and my answers and information on Avvo assume California law. Answers and information provided by me is general information only. It is not legal advice. It must not be relied upon by you. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website between us are not privileged or confidential. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that you do not lose any legal rights for failure to timely take appropriate action for your situation, you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice.


After obtaining a judgment, the creditor can ask for court to summon you to court for a debtor's exam to disclose all of your assets. After obtaining the information creditor can use all legal remedies to attempt collection, including wage garnishments, bank levy, liens against property. Putting a lien on a car is typically not done because often the vehicles are financed close to value, also you have an exemption that applies to certain property up to a specific amount, also a vehicle can be a highly depreciating assets. Wage garnishments and bank levy is typically more effective in attempting to collect, but of course depends on what the debtor owns and whether they are a waged employee.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer