My ex is trying to make me pay 1/2 of 2008 taxes to which I obtained an offer in compromise after my divorce. What should I do?

Asked 12 months ago - Cumming, GA

My divorce decree states we are to divide the 2008 taxes we owed 50/50. I began an Offer in Compromise when we first separated although it did not became final until after the divorce. I paid the offer in one lump sum so the tax lien on our home would be released so I could sell it before it foreclosed. The offer was accepted but it was to late the house was foreclosed. The IRS has now gone after him for the full amount of the 2008 taxes. He has obtained an attorney and they are coming after me for half. Can he do that even though I did my part by contacting the IRS and getting an offer? He could have done the same however he evaded them until they started garnishing his wages. He new they were trying to contact him. What should I do?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Thomas J. Wagner

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It seems to me that if the court ordered you to pay half of the 2008 tax year taxes, you have not fully complied with that order by paying less than half. While the IRS may be satisfied with your payment, the divorce court will probably see it differently. You certainly deserve credit towards that half by what you paid. You need to bring this up with your divorce attorney and figure out how much more you half to pay to the IRS.

  2. Jeffrey L. Cohen

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Consult with your divorce attorney. This is no longer a tax issue.

    This is not intended to be legal advice, and is general in nature.
  3. Linda Simmons Campbell


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unfortunately, divorce agreements and IRS agreements are independent of each other. You agreed in the divorce to pay 50%. I agree with the prior attorney that you should be credited the amount you paid for your Offer.

    If you cannot afford to consult with your divorce attorney, you may want to contact legal aid to see if you qualify for assistance. Your prior attorney may be able to tell you if you have a legal basis to fight this for a minimal fee so you may want to check with them first. Office number: (860) 255-7423 Website: Our reply to your question has not... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Debt in a Divorce

Responsibility for debts acquired during marriage may fall upon both parties after divorce, even if only one spouse incurred the debt.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,090 answers this week

3,011 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,090 answers this week

3,011 attorneys answering