My ex is taking me to court for visitation and because he said I rent rooms to the other so can the state take my son away from

Asked about 2 years ago - Westminster, CA

My ex raped me when I was a minor. And he's been stalking and harrassing me ever since I had my son. And making threats. I suppory my son with the welfare money I get every month.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Donald Frederick Conviser

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is unlikely that your custody of your son would be jeopardized by your rentng rooms in an effort to raise sufficient funds to supplement your welfare funds to support yourself and your son.

    Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is... more
  2. Cathleen Elisabeth Norton


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You may need to get a domestic violence restraining order if you fear for your safety. With regard to renting rooms, I doubt the state can do anything more than investigate you for welfare fraud. I would suggest consulting with an attorney to advise you of your rights. And I'd also suggest not admitting to welfare fraud on this public forum.

    If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button or "Best Answer" at the... more
  3. Rhonda Diane Ellifritz

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Until he files something, it sounds like he is just being a bully. If he files anything, I offer free initial comsultations to discuss the matter further. I am a little confused as to why he thinks you renting a room is an issue, but unless this poses a danger to your child, I am not sure how this could be used against you.

    Since legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing,... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,661 answers this week

2,934 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,661 answers this week

2,934 attorneys answering