My ex is taking me to court for visitation and because he said I rent rooms to the other so can the state take my son away from

Westminster, CA |

My ex raped me when I was a minor. And he's been stalking and harrassing me ever since I had my son. And making threats. I suppory my son with the welfare money I get every month.

It is unlikely that your custody of your son would be jeopardized by your rentng rooms in an effort to raise sufficient funds to supplement your welfare funds to support yourself and your son.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

You may need to get a domestic violence restraining order if you fear for your safety. With regard to renting rooms, I doubt the state can do anything more than investigate you for welfare fraud. I would suggest consulting with an attorney to advise you of your rights. And I'd also suggest not admitting to welfare fraud on this public forum.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button or "Best Answer" at the bottom of this answer. By answering this question, the Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not intend to form an attorney-client relationship with the asking party. The answers posted on this website should not be construed as legal advice. The Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not make any representations about your family law matter, but rather, seeks to provide general information to the public about family-law related matters. You should consult with an attorney to discuss the specific facts of your case. Thank you.

Until he files something, it sounds like he is just being a bully. If he files anything, I offer free initial comsultations to discuss the matter further. I am a little confused as to why he thinks you renting a room is an issue, but unless this poses a danger to your child, I am not sure how this could be used against you.

Since legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent legal counsel.

Child custody topics