My ex is here illegally and wants the court to prevent me from discussing it as part of the court proceedings for a custody

Asked over 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

petition, however she also submitted to court an exhibit of a valid passport for her home country and im afraid she might flee with my child .
what can i do? and can she prevent me from discussing my concearn about her being her illegally and that if she gets deported or in trouble with the law it could hurt my daughter

1. Martha Bronson

1

Answered . If you have a genuine concern over the ex fleeing with your child, the time to bring it up was at the hearing where she presented a valid passport. In usual case where fleeing is an immediate issue, the recourse is a TRO prohibiting the act. is not clear where you are procedurally - is a hearing set and you still have time to file a responsive declaration - in which event you artfully bring up your flee ing concerns without making it appear your are raising it just to make her look bad and for you to get an advantage..did she threaten to leave country? If so include that nformation and any other that evidences likelyihood of fleeing - e.g. she has no family, no friends here and no job, etc. In answer to whether she can prevent you from discussing your concern about fleeing, it is relevant and thus would something the court should hear - so if you still have time to file responsive declaration it should be carefully included. These are extremely delicate matters and they need to be addressed with great care, both in your written response and at hearing. You are best off obtaining legal counsel to help you with filing your response and representing you at hearing. Of course there are never any guarantees, but with legal counsel counsel your chances of success are increased . Best of f Luck!

2. Edna Carroll Straus

1

Answered . If either of you thinks the INS will deport her due to this arising in Family Court, the answer is no. (If she married a citizen she is eligible for citizenship. Why wasn't this done?)

Bottom line no court order will stop bad behavior-- it can only make is harder or make the person subjected to it angrier.

Yes, I know this isn't fair.Family Court isn't fair.

3. Stephen Ross Cohen

Answered . File for the Divorce and get the restraining order!