My ex is dating a sex offender. How can I keep our child safe and away from him? What legal steps do I need to take?

Asked over 3 years ago - Cocoa, FL

I let my daughter go with them on christmas, and a few days later finding out he has a record. Sex offender with some one under 14, sexual battery charge and child abuse. I denied her visitation due to child endangerment. But what is my next step to change the custody/visitation? And what can I do until it's changed? She has a son that lives with them, can I call DCF in fear of his safety too?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Ayuban Antonio Tomas


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . File an emergency motion for modification of timeshare. Hopefully the judge will give you a hearing right away under the circumstances. You will be better off if you hire a family law attorney to assist you. Good Luck!

    THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

  2. Earlynn Mae Stillwell

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . File an Emergency Motion with an attorney on your side. They can hopefully find out the specifics of his past charges and you can ask judge for protections for your kid. Does offender live with her? If they live together, DCF may do something. What did your ex say about him? Did she seem to know or not? Do you think she is protective or does she leave him alone with the kids?This answer is provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided in an office consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area of law in which your concern lies.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now