Skip to main content

My ex is being financially supported by her father, is this considered income?

Ventura, CA |
Filed under: Family law

I have shared custody with ex and we have two children together. The ex has no job, but has moved into an above average townhouse complex. I'm guessing her monthly living expenses (i.e. rent, utilities, car, insurances, etc.) are no less than $5000 a month. I pay about a third of that in support. She is being financially supported by her "well off" elderly father who is covering these expenses in exchange for caring for her elderly mother while he is on extensive travel overseas, which is only about 2 months out of the year. This is not a loving gesture. Ex has her own motivations for doing it, but i won't get into that here. Anyway, is the father's support considered income?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Yes check IRMO Alter (2009) 171 Cal. App. 4th 718

    This response will not create an attorney-client relationship between you and Sarieh Law Offices, and is not intended to serve as a legal advice in your specific circumstances. This response is a legal opinion based solely on facts represented and you should not rely on this legal opinion as a legal advice. You still need to consult an attorney directly to fully protect your legal rights.

  2. Yes, imo, that's income.

    I can be reached at 714-442-1522 if you have further questions. Before accepting any answer as a final answer, you should have your case reviewed by an attorney. No attorney on Avvo has read your paperwork and therefore cannot give a completely valid answer suited to your case.

  3. Yes. One aspect (compensation for caregiving) is earnings and the other is a gift.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics