Skip to main content

My ex is appealing a restraining order - what do I need to do?

Bellevue, WA |

I was granted an anti-harassment order against my ex-wife a few weeks ago because she was illegally accessing my utility accounts under her former married name and getting them to release financial information to her.

I just got a notice from her in the mail that she is appealing the order. I don't know what the purpose would be (no other detail was included) except to continue to allow her to break the law (RCW 9.35.010). Is there anything I need to do to respond to the appeal? Will I be notified of the outcome?

The notice I received was a Notice of Appeal to the Court of Appeals. The only text reads: "*************, respondent, seeks review by Division I of the Court of Appeals of an Order for Protection entered on *********, 2012. A copy of the Order is attached to this notice. Respectfully submitted this 8th day of March, 2012."

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Yes. You need to hire an attorney. Your post does not indicate whether the notice you received is a motion for revision or a Notice of Appeal to the Court of Appeals. In both cases there are specific steps you need to take, hence the need to hire an attorney.

The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation.



I updated my question with the exact notice I received. I'm meeting with an attorney in a few days but was hoping to get an idea of what to expect from this process. I just want to be left alone.

Dave Hawkins

Dave Hawkins


That's a notice of Appeal to the court of Appeals -- big time law. I require a 5000 retainer to represent someone in the Court of Appeals -- very technical, very complex.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer