My ex is appealing a restraining order - what do I need to do?

Bellevue, WA |

I was granted an anti-harassment order against my ex-wife a few weeks ago because she was illegally accessing my utility accounts under her former married name and getting them to release financial information to her.

I just got a notice from her in the mail that she is appealing the order. I don't know what the purpose would be (no other detail was included) except to continue to allow her to break the law (RCW 9.35.010). Is there anything I need to do to respond to the appeal? Will I be notified of the outcome?

The notice I received was a Notice of Appeal to the Court of Appeals. The only text reads: "*************, respondent, seeks review by Division I of the Court of Appeals of an Order for Protection entered on *********, 2012. A copy of the Order is attached to this notice. Respectfully submitted this 8th day of March, 2012."

1. Yes. You need to hire an attorney. Your post does not indicate whether the notice you received is a motion for revision or a Notice of Appeal to the Court of Appeals. In both cases there are specific steps you need to take, hence the need to hire an attorney.

The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation.