My ex impersonated me to make changes to my cell phone plan is there an legal action i can take agaisnt her

Asked over 1 year ago - Rocky Mount, NC

me and my ex fiancee (engaged never married) had a family cell phone plan however everything was in my name and my name only and i paid for them all myself by check. After we broke up as she was not paying for her phone i had the line suspended as she refused to give her phone back to me. Later she called the cell phone company and impersonated me to reactivate her cell phone again and again is there any legal action i can take against her for impersonating me and making changes to my cell phone plan

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Kenneth Love Jr.

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You may have claims. First, you need to determine how much you are out because she reactivated the phone. Your damages, would be the charges for her phone for those months.

    Next, you have to show that you took steps to mitigate your damages. Did you call the cell phone company and report this fraud. Many companies require a pin or password to make changes or get info about the account. Did you ask them to change the code or at least alert them that changes were being made without your authorization? If you haven't done this yet, do it immediately. At the very least you can prevent further improper changes.

    Finally you have to consider the amount you could sue for and if it is worth your time. Say she did this 3 times for monthly charges of $60.0 each, suing for 180.00 might not be worth the time and effort to do so...not to mention based on collection laws, you may never actually collect.

  2. Malosack Berjis

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The contents of your post do not give rise to any civil rights issues. Thus, I'm going to edit the practice area of your post to "Lawsuits / Disputes" so that it reaches attorneys who practice in that area.

    Ms. Berjis is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,891 answers this week

2,742 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,891 answers this week

2,742 attorneys answering