My ex-husband was granted custody of our two children. What can I do to get my children back? It's been almost three years.

Asked about 2 years ago - Ludowici, GA

The ruling was based on that my home was in turmoil and instability, too many people in the residence, my husband was a long distance truck driver, that my daughter switched schools, it also stated that I was a good mother with difficult circumstances.There was No abuse, no drugs, no welfare, no alcohol, or instability. I was a stay at home mom, while my husband worked. I was always with the children. Please tell me what I can do.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Anthony M. Zezima


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Assuming that you have been visiting your children regularly, an action to modify custody may be filed in the county of your ex-husband's residence whenever there has been a change in circumstances for the Judge to consider.

    You should seek advice from an experienced family law attorney who handles cases in that county, who can advise you whether you have sufficient evidence to pursue such a case.

    I am exclusively a family law attorney, practicing primarily in the metro Atlanta, Georgia trial courts. However,... more
  2. Ikemesit Amajak Eyo

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . You can file a petition requesting to modify custody. However, to be successful you must show that there has been a change in circumstances since the last order was issued. You stated that it has been three years, but did not mention if there has been any change in the circumstances that "caused" the judge to rule as he/she did.

    I agree with Mr. Zezima, you should consult with a family law attorney to discuss your case. Actually, considering the lack of simplicity, it would be in your best interest to hire an attorney to represent you in your modification.

    Good luck.

    ~ Kem Eyo

    The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. It does not constitute legal advice. Nor... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,606 answers this week

2,849 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,606 answers this week

2,849 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary