My ex husband was awarded a court order to pay my legal fees but he has filed for bankruptcy. Can the attorney sue me for fees?

Asked over 3 years ago - Miami, FL

My ex husband is in non compliance of our divorce agreement for the third time. The agreement states that should legal fees be incurred as a result of non-compliance then, the non compliant party shall be responsible for these fees. My husband refused to pay and my attorney awarded my ex husband with a court order stating he pays my attorneys fees and arbitrator fees. My ex husband tells me that this does not mean a thing because as soon as he gets billed by my attorney and the arbitrator he will proceed to file bankruptcy.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Eric Charles Lewis

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Bankruptcy discharges the debtor's personal liability on, among other things, outstanding attorney fees. If the agreement does not have a contingency wherein you are to pay the fees, then you cannot be sued for the fees.

    Advice on this forum is for informational purposes only and should never be mistaken as a substitute for legal... more
  2. Robert Ross Weed

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . If he says he's filing bankruptcy, that doesn't mean he's really going to do it. He might be bluffing. Whether bankruptcy helps him depends partly on how he is in non-compliance. Is he behind on child support? If he is, the attorneys fees to enforce the child support would also be child support--and bankruptcy wouldn't help him. He'd still have to pay.

  3. Andrew Sherman Bailey

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . Domestic support obligations are not dischargable in bankruptcy. Any provision of your divorce decree or your settlement agreement (as approved by the court in your divorce proceedings) that sets forth you and your ex-spouse's financial obligations to each other will survive a bankruptcy proceeding. You will receive a notice from the bankruptcy court if he does file bankruptcy. At that time the notice from the bankruptcy court will tell you important deadlines for asserting your rights in his bankruptcy proceedings.

  4. Pierre George Basmaji

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . The Bankruptcy Code provides broad protections to ex-spouses from deadbeats who are attempting to get out of their obligations by declaring bankruptcy. Even court-ordered attorney's fees may be covered. Keep all documentation concerning the judgments against him and retain a bankruptcy attorney to object to any attempted discharge of his obligations to you if/when he files for bankruptcy.

    The information provided here should not be taken as a substitute for legal advice from retained local counsel. Mr.... more

Related Topics


Bankruptcy is a legal way for people or businesses who are no longer capable of paying back their bills to clear these debts and start over.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,358 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,358 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering