My ex husband want to stop paying child support and he want get lawyer.

Asked 8 months ago - Boise, ID

My ex husband want to stop paying child support and he want me to sign it but i refuse. He say if i refuse to sign it then he will go get lawyer. Do i have to get lawyer too??

1. Paula Brown Sinclair

3

Answered . Your ex husband cannot just stop paying child support if a court has ordered him to do so. Whether you should sign something he has requested cannot be known from the information you have disclosed. It would be very helpful to at least consult with an experienced family law practitioner to review his support obligation.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  2. Scott Ross Learned

1

Answered . Please don't sign and don't let him bully you. You can at least consult with an experienced family lawyer for a few hundred dollars and find out what your rights are and where you stand. He needs to support his children.

Paula Brown Sinclair
    Paula Brown Sinclair, Family Law Attorney - Twin Falls, ID
    Posted 8 months ago.

Dear Asker: consulting with an experienced family lawyer in Idaho should cost far less than "several hundred dollars." For a los-cost guarantee, request a referral through the Lawyer Referral Service of the Idaho State Bar.

Paula Brown Sinclair
    Posted 8 months ago.

Make that --Low-cost guarantee . . .

Scott Ross Learned
    Scott Ross Learned, Family Law Attorney - Boise, ID
    Posted 8 months ago.

You can also go to family court services at the Ada County courthouse and they can estimate what he should be paying for free

No photo
    Posted 8 months ago.

He want get lawyer cuz kids stay with him most but we r share with kids that I agree with him. Kids only stay with him like 4 nights. Cuz my son go to school in Notus that where his dad live there. Also, my daughter go to daycare in notus too. The reason he want get lawyer cuz he have no job and he want me to sign paper to stop use CS until he find other job then I can go back get CS. That's why I refuse to sign cuz he should know better that he need to look for other job first before he quit with no job. So, I'm wondering if he do got lawyer and go to court. Do I have to get lawyer to go court too? I can't afford for it and will I loose my kids if I not have lawyer and not go court?

Scott Ross Learned
    Posted 8 months ago.

You don't have to have a lawyer to go to court. If you get a notice saying you need to go to court, be sure to be there on time (early) and ready to talk to the judge. You should also contact the Idaho Volunteer Lawyers Program -- you may or may not qualify, but it is worth a shot. Call 208-334-4510.

Also, even if he has no income he can still owe you support. Good luck!

3. Sandra A Kuhn Esq.

Pro

Answered . No, but you may want to. If you want to put an end to the bullying, you need to take swift legal action. Consult with a lawyer right away, see if you can get more support. That may nip it in the bud.