My ex husband used my ssn on his taxes and now I owe state taxes.

Asked over 2 years ago - Willowbrook, IL

I am legally separated and the divorce will be legal on April 3rd. We were married on 18June2011. And lived together till 10Jan2012. He filed his taxes married but separated and used my ssn on his taxes and now I owe state taxes and do not qualify for education tuition credit. I paid out of pocket for my tuition before we were married or living together. Is there anything I can do so I can claim this tax credit?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. E. Martin Davidoff


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Please clarify the facts. I am assuming that your husband filed his tax return using his social security number but indicated on his tax return that he was married to you and put your SSN as your number, not his, right? And, because you are only able to file Married Filing Separately, you are unable to claim the credit?

    If my presumption is correct, you could persuade your husband to file jointly and, thereby, allowing you to claim your credit (presumably).

    I am not an IL tax expert. So, I am not sure if you can get the credit if you are filing separately from your husband.

    Please clarify or consult a local tax professional. This time of year, some newpapers and CPA societies run telephone clinics where you can call in and ask your question with a tax professional for free.

    Marty Davidoff,, 732-274-1600. This answer is provided for general information only. You... more
  2. Gary L. Schlesinger

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . he is not your ex husband. he is your husband. so, you either file taxes as married joint or married separate. he chose the latter. there is nothing wrong with that. now you and your lawyer negotiate with him to amend to married joint but only if that is a net tax savings for both of you. if married separate is the way that pays the fewest dollars in taxes, file that way and ask him to contribute to your taxes.

    this tax issue is something that you and your lawyers should have addressed in settling the case. you did not. now there is an open issue in your case.

  3. Christopher Michael Larson

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with the previous attorney in that it is not clear what happened. If he filed jointly, you can just file seperately. If somebody files seperately, they are explicitly NOT filing with their spouse.

    Christopher Larson

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,896 answers this week

3,158 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,896 answers this week

3,158 attorneys answering