My ex husband's lawyer used a forged document to help my ex get full custody of my kids. It was an acknowledgement document.

Asked over 2 years ago - Buford, GA

It was an acknowledgment documents saying I was waiving my right to be notified and served with papers for custody and divorce. I had signed one last year but that was for the joint custody we agreed on. They went to court behind my back and he got full custody of my children without me knowing about it. I got a copy of the paper from the clerk of court showing my signature on april 25 of 2012. I had to have been in Georgia to have signed it and i wasn't and didn't sign that paper. I want to sue him for this because I now have to hire a lawyer to fight for custody of my children. He has caused me tremendous heartache and depression because of losing my children. I believe if he hadn't submitted this document they would have had to contact me before going through with court.

Oh I forgot to mention that the lawyer is a notary and notarized the document himself. He had one that i had signed back in December of last year but this one says April 25 2012 and I have proof i was in Florida that day and the days before and after. At the very least this lawyer should be disbarred.

Update: He got soul custody not full custody. I have absolutely no rights now.

1. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

1

Answered . You are making a serious accusation that could (if true and proven) involve criminal activity. Get yourself an experienced attorney to determine how to address this. This is not a do it yourself project, and your accusation could result in disbarment of a lawyer, jail for a notary, plus a new trial, depending on the details. What you don't do is "sue him for this." I suspect an attorney will look into an extraordinary motion for a new trial, and may recommend a bar complaint as well. Make sure you share all the details and facts. What may work against you however can be your failure to keep up with the case and file appropriate pleadings, so there's no way anyone here can predict the outcome.

2. Paula Jeanette Mcgill

1

Answered . Hire a lawyer first to determine what the best stategy for you in court. At the same time, you might be able to complain to the state bar about his apparent unethical and possibly illegal (forgery) behavior.

3. Anthony M. Zezima

Pro

Answered . You will most definitely need to retain an experienced divorce attorney. There are several things that can be done, depending upon the date of the Final Decree. Do not wait any longer. Please call my office for a phone consultation at no charge (770-986-9364). I can tell you what needs to be done, and the approximate cost.