My ex husband recently stopped my maintenance payments. He claims he doesn't owe me anything anymore. What can I do?

Poughkeepsie, NY |

He is a physician. In 1995 His practice was evaluated at 1,000,000. Legally I am entitled to half of this as I helped him financially through his education. He recently sent me a payout schedule that is not attached to our divorce decree or filed in NY state with the divorce decree. The wording in the divorce settlement: a payout of 300,000 dollars at 3% interest for 20 years, means in his eyes 326,000 not 500,000. I was told by my lawyer and his lawyer that it meant 500,000 payout total. At signing I even asked out loud to everyone present what it meant again. How can I proceed to rectify this situation? To me this is fraud. I contacted my ex-husband and my previous lawyer, all to no avail. thank you for your time. I look forward to your reply.

I'd he is violating the terms of this agreement - you need to retain counsel to do so and file for an enforcement and contempt proceeding.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

This would be correct if what I was told was written in the document instead of the lie they tricked me into signing. Truly how does one receive justice for fraud when my own lawyer colluded with my ex and his lawyer.

Douglas Shaun Kepanis

Douglas Shaun Kepanis

It's time to retain an attorney and re-open the case through a post-Judgment filing. You need to discuss this with an attorney and this should be done ASAP!

Are you able to practice in the Supreme Court in Albany, NY? I would like to retain you if you can practice there.

Douglas Shaun Kepanis

Douglas Shaun Kepanis

Yes please email me Douglas@kepanislaw.com

Thank you shall do!

There is no way to answer this question without reviewing the judgment of divorce and your agreement.

I am an attorney with over a decade of experience in Matrimonial and Family Law with offices in Brooklyn and Manhattan. I have experience in all five boroughs as well is Nassau and Suffolk County. The opinion expressed in this ad based upon the limited information provided and do not indicate an attorney-client relationship

You just don't automatically get 1/2. The only way for a lawyer to opine about what you are entitled to is to review the document. I suggest you pay for a consultation with a matrimonial lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been handling criminal defense and personal injury cases for over 17 years. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails, is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

If this is something specified in your settlement or divorce decree you need to get into court and file a motion seeking enforcement. Sooner rather than later.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

The answer to your question depends on the precise wording of the agreement. Most likely, the agreement provides that he's to pay the $300,000 plus 3% "per annum," meaning the interest would accrue on the outstanding balance at the rate of 3% per year. Thus, to know what he owes, one would need to review the agreement itself alongside his payment history. You're thus best advised to schedule a consult with a Dutchess/Westchester Divorce attorney for a full assessment.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.