My ex-husband passed away. Am I entitled to any of his Social Sec or Pension benefits?

Camarillo, CA |

His beneficiary was his mother & she has recently passed away. We were married for 17 yrs & lived in FL. If I am how do I go about collecting and what documentation is needed.

1. If you are over 60, you may be able to get some benefits as a surviving divorced spouse. However, unlike pensions or retirement funds, SSA does not pay out benefits to survivors. If a person dies, for the most part the payment of SS benefits ends with that death.

I will leave the pension question for someone who has experience in that area.

Best of luck to you.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.