My ex-husband passed away. Am I entitled to any of his Social Sec or Pension benefits?

Asked over 1 year ago - Camarillo, CA

His beneficiary was his mother & she has recently passed away. We were married for 17 yrs & lived in FL. If I am how do I go about collecting and what documentation is needed.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Clifford Michael Farrell

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you are over 60, you may be able to get some benefits as a surviving divorced spouse. However, unlike pensions or retirement funds, SSA does not pay out benefits to survivors. If a person dies, for the most part the payment of SS benefits ends with that death.

    I will leave the pension question for someone who has experience in that area.

    Best of luck to you.

    The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should... more

Related Topics

Retirement benefits and pensions

A pension is a fixed sum, typically paid monthly, given to an employee upon his or her retirement. Pensions are managed and invested by the employer.

Social security

Social security refers to several federal benefit programs, including Social Security Disability and Social Security Income, each with different requirements.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,803 answers this week

3,414 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,803 answers this week

3,414 attorneys answering