My ex-husband passed away. Am I entitled to any of his Social Sec or Pension benefits?

Asked over 1 year ago - Camarillo, CA

His beneficiary was his mother & she has recently passed away. We were married for 17 yrs & lived in FL. If I am how do I go about collecting and what documentation is needed.

1. Clifford Michael Farrell

1

Answered . If you are over 60, you may be able to get some benefits as a surviving divorced spouse. However, unlike pensions or retirement funds, SSA does not pay out benefits to survivors. If a person dies, for the most part the payment of SS benefits ends with that death.

I will leave the pension question for someone who has experience in that area.

Best of luck to you.