My ex-husband may be receiving settlements for investments we made while married. How can I find out if this is true.

Asked over 1 year ago - Irvine, CA

These investments were made, then the companies claimed bankruptcy. We divorced last year and now he is saying that he did not receive anything. Yet, I know that the court payed out. Can I find out about ALL our investments some how? And if so, how can I do this without letting him know this and hiding them some how.

1. Nadine Marie Jett

2

Answered . You probably cannot do this without him finding out. Here are some suggestions:
    1. If you know the bankruptcy case number, pull the case, and review it. (He will not find out about this as it is a public record)
    2. If you know the names of the investments, subpoena that information.
    3. Request his tax returns, as the investment income will have to show.
    Best of luck to you.

2. Daniel Lee O'Neil

1

Answered . If you had an attorney represent you in the divorce, you should be speaking with that attorney for a number of different reasons.

As Nadine suggested, you can pull up the public records for the bankruptcy case if you know the docket number, oftentimes that is a helpful place to start.

In all likelihood at one point or another you are going to need a lawyer to go after the money (if there is any) and unless you have an atypical amount of legal experience for the average person, it would be unwise for you to proceed on your own in this matter; you can use the avvo lawyer search to find an experienced local lawyer.

Best of luck

3. Alicia Simone James

1

Answered . As Nadine suggested, you can pull up the public records for the bankruptcy case if you know the docket number. But chances are you probably will have a hard time finding the information. On the other hand, you can hire an attorney who will be able to request the documents.

4. Lars Kristian Soreide

Pro

Answered . If the settlements are so significant that you think it will change what alimony and or child support might be owed to you then consult with your divorce attorney and consider issuing him a subpoena to obtain those records.