My ex husband is telling people serious lies about me, what can I do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Dayton, OH

My ex husband is telling everyone these lies specifically, he has no documentation because he is bitter from our divorce still in 2006, we have joint legal and joint physical custody of our children, and it was ended on in supportability. All because I said "we need to communicate better because I know we had issues with that while we were married"

Can I get a restraining order against him and our children or? Because I feel he is very angry and feeling violent toward me now and I fear my my safety and my children's safety.

I know, right? lol I used to get so frustrated when you'd hold a knife up to my neck and threaten to kill me, and I'd be all, "oh stop," but you'd ignore me. Or how when you had me and the kids in the car when you were driving and you'd floor the accelerator and threaten to kill us all, very seriously, just because we were fighting.Or when you threw the cast-iron at me at your dad's house? 1:22 AM
Or when you shoved me while I was holding Daphne? Right in front of your dad?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. James Donald Garrett

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If he is threatening you, then you may go to the police. If he is just spreading lies and you are suffering a recognized damage, you may have a slander suit. Contact a civil attorney.

    Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any... more
  2. James Regan


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In an emergency, dial 911. Speak to a local attorney about filing or go down to the local courthouse and ask the clerk.

    Don't stay silent, speak out! National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE (7233) /

    The Cycle of Domestic Violence

    In 1979, psychologist Lenore Walker found that many violent relationships follow a common pattern or cycle. The entire cycle may happen in one day or it may take weeks or months. It is different for every relationship and not all relationships follow the cycle—many report a constant stage of siege with little relief.

    This cycle has three parts:

    Tension building phase—Tension builds over common domestic issues like money, children or jobs. Verbal abuse begins. The victim tries to control the situation by pleasing the abuser, giving in or avoiding the abuse. None of these will stop the violence. Eventually, the tension reaches a boiling point and physical abuse begins.

    Acute battering episode—When the tension peaks, the physical violence begins. It is usually triggered by the presence of an external event or by the abuser’s emotional state—but not by the victim’s behavior. This means the start of the battering episode is unpredictable and beyond the victim’s control. However, some experts believe that in some cases victims may unconsciously provoke the abuse so they can release the tension, and move on to the honeymoon phase.

    The honeymoon phase—First, the abuser is ashamed of his behavior. He expresses remorse, tries to minimize the abuse and might even blame it on the partner. He may then exhibit loving, kind behavior followed by apologies, generosity and helpfulness. He will genuinely attempt to convince the partner that the abuse will not happen again. This loving and contrite behavior strengthens the bond between the partners and will probably convince the victim, once again, that leaving the relationship is not necessary.

    This cycle continues over and over, and may help explain why victims stay in abusive relationships. The abuse may be terrible, but the promises and generosity of the honeymoon phase give the victim the false belief that everything will be all right.

    Good Luck,


    James Regan, LL.M*, Esq. (Master of Intercultural Human Rights Law) (Visit us on Facebook)

    Educational purposes answer. | | | | | Non-privileged answer.
  3. Aaron Paul Hartley

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . RC 3113.31 is the mechanism by which you could file for a Civil Protection Order on the basis of Domestic Violence. I urge you to: (1) call 911 if you there is an imminent threat and (2) contact an experienced attorney, particularly if you feel that your ex has placed you, by the threat of force, in fear of imminent serious physical harm.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,446 answers this week

2,986 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,446 answers this week

2,986 attorneys answering