My ex husband is short selling our house, the company keeps calling me to get my private info, Do I have to?

Asked about 1 year ago - Stanwood, WA

My ex husband was given the house in the divorce with he has to sell or refinance the house which he was unable to refinance and just recently he told the courts that he was staying in the house, but later after the child custody battle was over and I was given sole custody. What I am trying to say is that now he has people calling and emailing me to do a short sell of the house, problem is they are wanting my private information such as income, rent, ssn, taxes, pay stubs.. etc. Problem I see is that they are seen my information that I don't want to give out. I don't care if the house goes into foreclosure because I know I will already have to file bankruptcies because of the debt he put me in. He has threaten me to take me to court to make my comply to the order. What NOW

1. Bruce Clement

Pro

Answered . If the order requires you to cooperate in the sale, or to pay the mortgage, failure to do so will probably be contempt of court. Obey the current orders. If you need them changed, file a motion to do so. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on divorce and division of debts for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Please keep in mind that although these Legal Guides are often informative, they are no substitute for legal advice from an attorney you have retained for consultation or representation. There are always exceptions to the general rules. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "Contributor Level - View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Contribution - Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 31 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful” or “best answer”. © Bruce Clement

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

1

Answered . Talk to a family law attorney bout your obligations here. The problem is that you are presumably on the financing paperwork and thus, the financial folks are going to want to talk to you!

3. Paula Brown Sinclair

Answered . You may be playing with fire to refuse cooperation in a way that frustrates his compliance with the divorce decree. He may well be able to obtain additional court orders to force your cooperation. For the precise advice that will meet your needs, retain experienced family law counsel who practices in the court of your divorce to know more particularly what to expect.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.