My ex-husband is filing bankruptcy and letting the house go. I am on the title, not the mortgage, can they come after me?

Belcamp, MD |

NA

1. If you are not liable on the mortgage then no they cannot come after you for liability on the note and mortgage. However, if there is a foreclosure they will name you because you are on the deed and have an interest in the property. You may want to consider filing a bankruptcy if there is other debt however.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Illinois. Responses are answers to general legal questions and the receiver of such question should consult a local attorney for specific answers to questions.

2. No - they cannot come after you for any monetary responsibility. The NOTE is the only thing that obligates you to pay money to the lenders.

Marriage and prenups topics