My ex husband has not help or paid for anything for his children in years but in our divorce papers he is listed as residential

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

We go to court next Monday and have to go in front of our divorce judge so i can become the residential parent . I was never told by my divorce lawyer to do this if things change will I be able to get some kind of support?

1. Gary L. Schlesinger

Pro

3

Answered . there is no magic phrase in illinois law entitled residential parent. but many many lawyers and judges use it. there is no definition. see in re the marriage of means.

so, rather than attempting to get something that may be of little or no use, figure out what you really want and then do a motion to ask for that.

why are you going to court monday? your motion or ex's? who is asking for what?

you would be best off getting a lawyer.

2. Jenet Gonzalez Pequeno

3

Answered . Your question is not clear. Custodial parents are entitled to child support. To clarify things, you need to take your, "divorce papers' to a law office this week if you have not done so already. I would recommend the sooner the better. Take the documents that also set it for Monday. It is sometimes very difficult for an attorney to go to court on the next business day as their calendars fill up weeks out. Do not wait until Friday. Get all your papers together and get to a family attorney.
    Good luck,
    Jene't

3. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

1

Answered . Yes you should be able to so long as ex is working and/or has some income. Bring a lawyer with you for best results.