My ex husband has filed a contempt motion claiming I violated a child custody court order. Do I have a right to counsel?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

The papers I received state the contempt proceeding is “criminal in nature.” If it is criminal in nature can I have a court appointed attorney? I know there is no right to a court appointed attorney in a normal divorce proceeding. However, if I am found in contempt I could go to jail, so that seems to change things quite a bit. I don't have the funds to employ a private attorney as I make just a bit over the minimum wage.

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

1

10

Answered . Please contact the court, if you face the possibility of jail time then in most cases you may be appointed counsel, however if it is a civil action in probate, it may be particular to california law. take care and please contact a local ca attny.

2. Cathleen Elisabeth Norton

Pro

1

Answered . Yes, you may be entitled to court appointed counsel for the Contempt action if you meet certain criteria and should ask the clerk about having a Public Defender. Good luck.

3. Christine C McCall

Pro

Answered . Yes, you have the right to counsel for a contempt proceeding that carries the risk of jail. If you do not have counsel, the court will either refer you for an evaluation of your eligibility for court-appointed counsel, or will take jail time off the table.