My ex husband does tattoos illegaly and thats how he makes his money. He doesnt file taxes or anything. How will that affect me?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lewisville, TX

How will this affect me on my child support case?

1. Everett R. Buck

Pro

4

Answered . I would suggest that your file your tax return as married filing separate and report you own income, to the extent you have it. Although the general rule for filing married separate in community property states is that you report 1/2 of both spouses community property, there is an exception for separately managed community property ( such as your own wage or other income that you keep in your own separate not joint bank account). Also , if you file joint returns and you are audited and the IRS finds his unreported income and assesses additional tax, you may qualify for innocent spouse relief from that additional tax.

2. Frank Anthony Natoli

3

1

Answered . If you file jointly, you would be exposed. I suggest that you discuss a strategy over with a local tax advisor (CPA, accountant), but you may want to file "married, filing separately." This will remove you from liability regards to your husbands tax situation. There are also exceptions for "innocent spouse" in some cases which from what I understand are kind of hard to qualfiy for, but if it is relevant it may be worth exploring as well.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)

3. Bruce Givner

2

Answered . Mr. Buck has given you a superb response. Since he is in Texas you should hire him.