My ex-husband disappeared in plane crash in CA in 1992. How do I get presumptive death certificate to draw his social security?

Little Rock, AR |

I am almost 65. He was never found. Disappeared in Monterrey county, but no courthouse has any record of his death. In CA after 7 years they can issue presumptive death certificate. How do I obtain this ?

1. Duplicate post. See first answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

2. This normally must be done through the probate court. I would have a probate attorney assist you. It should not be difficult or expensive, but there are procedural aspects that you would not know about and the attorney can help you streamline the process.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!