My ex-husband and I were married for two and a half years, we recently got divorced. Will it affect me getting a green card?

Asked about 1 year ago - Burlington, VT

im from Russia. I entered marriage in good faith.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Tripti Sharad Sharma

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Were you granted a conditional green card or a permanent green card?

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more
  2. Rebecca Saldana

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You say "getting a green card" if you don't have a legal permanent resident card or a conditional and your still in the process your case will be terminated. If you have conditional then you can file I-751 on your own behalf. If you hold a legal permanent resident card you will be fine.

  3. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . It depends. Do you have a conditional green card already or have you not yet filed? if you are conditional you can file for a good faith waiver by yourself. You should speak to an attorney in either case as you may have options available to you even if you have not yet filed/received your green card.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more
  4. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Do do silt an experienced immigration lawyer for assistance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,017 answers this week

2,712 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary