My ex-husband and I have "joint" custody of our son but I have him 95% of the time. He refuses to watch his son & makes his mom

Asked over 5 years ago - Denver, CO

My ex-husband refuses to have him on weekends or more than 2 days per week (during school time he only sees him every other weekend and even then he takes our son to his mom's house for her to watch him instead). He also has quite a temper and I removed our son from my ex's house last summer after his dad screamed at him and called me to tell me that he didnt want anything to do with him anymore (he tried to apologize the day after saying he was just "stressed"). After this incident I kept our son with me almost all of the time and he said that if he was "going to let me" have him 95% of the time then he wasn't going to help financially (he didn't before either). He is very controlling and questions our son constantly even though he knows to ask me if he has a question. What are my rights

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Suzanne Griffiths

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . It is hard to force him to have time with your son. If he is not interested in seeing much of your son, you don't have much option except to take care of him. However he has to pay child support based on a worksheet A which means he will pay more than if he had 92 overnights or more. You can ask Family Support to assist you in claiming child support.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,767 answers this week

3,620 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,767 answers this week

3,620 attorneys answering