Skip to main content

My ex had a crazy idea in which he agrees to relocation of both of our children (6 and 9) from Us to Israel ..

Bergenfield, NJ |

only if I agree to sign on an agreement in which says that one year they will reside with me in Israel and the next year they will reside with him in the States. He asks me for share coustody based on alternate years. This is because I want to move to Israel with our children in order to better our life in all domains. Are these cases exist? Does a court agree to something unstable like that? just wonder

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


The courts do not give an opinion if the two of you agree, unless it is so blatantly harmful for the children. If you disagree then a relocation hearing and analysis will take place. I would advise that you go to a few sessions with a child psychologist to assist you in figuring out would be in your children's best interests in achieving a parenting plan.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.


Ms. Navarrete has provided you with excellent advice. I would add that you need to consider what is in the long term "best interest" of your children. It is hard to imagine that it could be in a child's best interest to change schools, need to meet all new friends, start all new extracurricular activities every other year. Each you and your ex need to put what is best for the children first as opposed to what may be best for each of you.

Kenneth A. White, Esq.
New Jersey Divorce Attorney

The Answer provided was based on the limited information provided, and represents information based on the law in general, not a legal opinion that can be relied upon. Before a formal legal opinion can be offered I would need an opportunity to review all possible relevant facts and circumstances. You cannot rely on the advice of an attorney given over the internet. The exact facts of your sitaution, including facts which you have not mentioned in your question, may completely change the opinion that is being offered. Please be aware that the above comments are neither protected by attorney-client privilege, nor may the same be the basis for a malpractice lawsuit.


You and your husband can agree to relocate to Israel if that is your joint wishes.

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis


great counsel

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis


I just endorsed you, if you have a sec perhaps you would consider endorsing me?


If you two agreed to it, a court would probably enforce it. More usual would be an agreement that he spends summers and long vacations (winter break, spring break, etc -- assuming they align with whatever vacation periods they have over there) with the other parent.

IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER AND APPRECIATE THE TIME IT TOOK TO WRITE IT, PLEASE SELECT IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Thanks. The above is said without seeing your case file and without my understanding the entirety of the facts of your case. Depending on those facts, the above information be may incomplete or may be completely inaccurate. The above is intended as general information only based on what you described and not as legal advice. I advise you to consult with counsel who may be able to provide better information commensurate with a better understanding of your situation.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer