My ex had a crazy idea in which he agrees to relocation of both of our children (6 and 9) from Us to Israel ..

only if I agree to sign on an agreement in which says that one year they will reside with me in Israel and the next year they will reside with him in the States. He asks me for share coustody based on alternate years. This is because I want to move to Israel with our children in order to better our life in all domains. Are these cases exist? Does a court agree to something unstable like that? just wonder

Bergenfield, NJ -

Kenneth A White

Kenneth A White

Family Law Attorney - Edison, NJ

Ms. Navarrete has provided you with excellent advice. I would add that you need to consider what is in the long term "best interest" of your children. It is hard to imagine that it could be in a child's best interest to change schools, need to meet all new friends, start all new extracurricular activities every other year. Each you and your ex need to put what is best for the children first as opposed to what may be best for each of you.

Kenneth A. White, Esq.
New Jersey Divorce Attorney
732-819-9100

Yolanda Navarrete

Yolanda Navarrete

Family Law Attorney - Morristown, NJ

The courts do not give an opinion if the two of you agree, unless it is so blatantly harmful for the children. If you disagree then a relocation hearing and analysis will take place. I would advise that you go to a few sessions with a child psychologist to assist you in figuring out would be in your children's best interests in achieving a parenting plan.

Stacey Leigh Miller

Stacey Leigh Miller

Child Custody Lawyer - Freehold, NJ

You and your husband can agree to relocate to Israel if that is your joint wishes.

David Perry Davis

David Perry Davis

Child Custody Lawyer - Pennington, NJ

If you two agreed to it, a court would probably enforce it. More usual would be an agreement that he spends summers and long vacations (winter break, spring break, etc -- assuming they align with whatever vacation periods they have over there) with the other parent.

Related Advice