My ex got busted with meth- quite a bit, and it's not her first time. She bonded out but skipped bond and called asking me if th

Leonard, TX |

My ex got busted with meth- quite a bit, and it's not her first time. She bonded out but skipped bond and called asking me if the statute of limitations would apply and she could just lay low. -I didn't think so but told her I'd check (she was accidentally released from TDCJ years ago and since it was on them she was able to dodge until after her discharge- long way- date and I guess is hoping for another miracle.) Thanks for your time.

1. The SOL has nothing to do with how long it takes for a person to be apprehended. As long as the case is filed within the SOL, the warrant will remain active for however long it takes for her to be picked up.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

2. Ms. Jaggers is quite correct. The SOL only has to do with the filing of the appropriate document. Further, the SOL usually stops running when the defendant disappears outside the state or voluntarily after being arraigned..

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

3. No luck on this one. One they skipped out on bond a warrant would have been issued. It will follow them until they are apprehended. Better to get an attorney that might be able to help them now before they get picked up on the warrant.

4. No, once she is arrested and charged the statute of limitations tolls (doesn't start). If its a felony she will need to be indicted within 180 days. If indicted she's on the hook for life. If no billed, not indicted, by the grand jury then she is ok.

Good luck

Michael J. Crawford is a Criminal and Family Law Attorney located in Corsicana, Texas. He practices throughout the State of Texas and focusing on the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex including: Navarro, Ellis, Dallas, Hill, Tarrant, Johnson, McClennan, Freestone, Henderson, and Kaufman Counties. Answering a Question on AVVO does not create an attorney client relationship. If you have a legal problem please contact an attorney directly and do not rely solely on information received through an answer to a question on AVVO. My contact information is mjc@michaeljcrawfordlaw.com or (903) 875-8500.