Skip to main content

My ex girlfriend took our daughter and moved to another state, without me knowing. what can i do to get my daughter back?

Sanford, FL |

How can i get my daughter back ?

Attorney Answers 1

  1. You need to file a paternity action to establish your rights legally as the biological father. That would be the first step. However, depending on how long she has been gone, it is possible that Florida no longer has jurisdiction. If she has been gone for several months, then most likely you would need to file the action in the State where she now resides. It may not be possible for you to get your daughter back, but you should be able to establish some sort of regular visitation and contact with her so that you can continue to maintain a relationship with your daughter.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics