My ex girlfriend posted on Facebook that I have a childporn collection. Which is totally false. Can I press charges?

Asked about 1 year ago - Daleville, VA

After an argument over our kids she put that I had a collection of child porn of Facebook. She did this thinking that she would be able to file for full custody of our two children. It's total slander and 100 percent untrue.

1. Victoria Lee Allen

5

Answered . Immediately speak with a local attorney and provide proof of the postings. There are many issues involved here which can impact custody, criminal charges, and civil charges.

I feel certain given these facts that an attorney will speak with you with a free initial consultation.

2. Christie Marie Asselin

5

Answered . I agree with Mr. Allen. Also be sure to keep evidence of the postings before your girlfriend takes them down - try taking a screen shot and/or printing the postings. Good luck to you.

Pro

4

Answered . Also, report the abuse to FB

4. David J. McCormick

3

Answered . I agree with Attorney Allen. Contact a local attorney ASAP.

5. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

3

Answered . This is a civil defamation situation, not something which is subject to criminal prosecution.

I suggest you retain a family law attorney to represent you in your litigation with your ex. If you are not represented, I see you having a hard time in court. Your family law attorney may be able to convince her to take down this defamatory posting.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  6. Peter Anthony Jabaly

Pro

Answered . What she said is defamatory and subjects her to civil liability. Speak with an attorney about this and keep records of the postings.