Skip to main content

My ex gf and i

Nevada, MO |

nevaer went to court and made an agreement to alternate years claiming our daughter on taxes, we both signed a piece of paper and got it noterized. does this make it legit?

Attorney Answers 3


No, this has just made you guys sign a piece of paper and the notary confirms that the two of you are the persons who signed the paper. It has no real enforcement value whatsoever. As long as the two of you have agreed to it and stick to it, fine. Just don't rely on this if there is a dispute later on.

This answer is provided as a general opinion to a question posted on an internet forum. This does not create in either party the expectation that an attorney-client relationship has been entered into between the original poster and the Law Office of Reid Seino, LLC. Any information provided should not be solely taken as legal advice but in the context of general information. Please seek legal representation for any specific legal questions.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

1 comment



so i guess my question is how do i make that document legit? were in agreement on custody and child support and neither wish to take it to court so how would i make it legit?


No, need to have a stipulation filed in a court case or an order signed by a judge to make it legal. This would be a paternity action

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced 39+ yrs. I can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practicein Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. I give only appointments over the phone., these services do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ and I would appreciate it if you feel like marking my answers helpful or best. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are court documents , less expensive.

Mark as helpful


No, it does not. In order for a "non-custodial parent" to claim a child on a tax return, the "custodial parent" (as defined by the IRS) will need to release their claim by completing IRS Form 8332. The "non-custodial parent" needs to attached the signed IRS Form 8332 with their tax return. A taxpayer must still meet the IRS dependency tests in order to claim the child on their return.

This material does not constitute tax, legal or accounting advice. It was not intended or written for use and cannot be used by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding any IRS or NYS penalty. The information contained herein is for informational purposes only as a service to the public, and is not legal advice or a substitute for legal counsel, nor does it constitute advertising or a solicitation. This response is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship between you and the author.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics